Monday, September 28, 2009

Stupid hairdresser

OK, I was finishing up my Sunday classes. So, usually, I would go to the saloon afterwards for a hair pampering session. It's a ritual thing. You girls would understand, you guys won't.

So, I jumped into the car and drove straight to my favourite hairdresser (for washing and blow-drying, the other fave one for rebonding and perming is in Johor, but that's a whole diff story). There I was, excited as usual (despite this being a weekly thing) driving to Sim's saloon (yea, that's her name). To my dismay (after the 10 minute drive), when I reached, her saloon was closed.

I was truly disappointed cuz I never (I mean, NEVER) go to other saloons in this town. There are like about 10-15 saloons here. So, my mum, being the adventurous one (I'm pretty sure she has frequented almost all the saloons here), suggested that I go for this new saloon which just opened recently.

OK, I decided to go for it. After all, wth eh? It's just a hair wash. Nothing could possibly go wrong. Mum told me where it was, so I drove there.

From the outside, the saloon looked like one of those dodgy little property sales office. Kinda hard to describe for those who have never been to a sales office. When I entered, the pungent smell of cigarettes just attacked my nostrils. God! Felt like suffocating. Was trying very hard not to wiggle my nose in disgust.

Never mind that. I forgave her. No customer was there. So, guess what she was doing?

She was playing mah-jong. Typical auntie-ish-saloon fave past time. Her back was facing mine while she was playing with 2 other dodgy-looking uncles. Come to think of it now, dodgy sounds like an understatement. *shivers*

I greeted her, telling her that I needed a hair wash. *Get your mahjong butt over here asap*

She gave me the "eh-whatever shoulder shrug". Fine, I forgave her for the 2nd time. I sat down and she continued with her mahjong game. I waited. 5 minutes. Waited. 10 minutes. Waited. 15 minutes. She finished like 3 rounds before attending to me.

At that point in time, I really wanted to slap her friking face. But I was patient. So she came to me and started washing my hair. Remember the 2 dodgy-looking uncles? They were staring at us (i.e. me trying to get my hair washed and her washing my hair). OMG. Dodginess to the max. They could have gone outside for a smoke or to the kopitiam next door for some coffee. But no. They wanted to look. FML.

OK fine. So, after shampooing, you would obviously need to rinse off the shampoo. So I walked up from my seat and went to that place where you would need to lie horizontally and your head would be in a sink. You can imagine it, right? OMG, the uncles were staring at that too! Major FML.

I felt totally uncomfortable and uneasy. Just imagine how you would have felt. Urghhh!

Fine, washing was done. Time for blow drying and doing the curls (by adding styling gel for curls). I took out my styling gel from my bag (yea, I bring my own stuff cuz I don't trust their products. I am that paranoid) and gave it to her. So, she applied some generous amount on her palm and began to run the gel through my curls.

Then, she asked this superbly dumb-ass question.
"Eh, this one is styling gel meh? How come it's like hair serum?"

I was totally speechless. Sim was using that same styling gel for the past few times on my curls. So I replied her, "Yea la, it IS styling gel. Look what it says on the bottle" (She obviously didn't know how to read cuz I had to speak to her in Mandarin. I was kind enough to translate the above dialogue into English).

She looked skeptical. I told her to just apply the damn thing and shut the hell up (OK, I skipped the latter part).

After applying, obviously you would need to blow dry the hair again so that the gel would absorb into the hair and harden the curls. As she was doing that, she said (in Mandarin), "Wah, this gel very good ah"

Stupid hairdresser 0 vs Styvee 1.

I swear to God I will never ever ever ever go to that saloon again.