Sunday, June 6, 2010

Kita- The Flash Mob (June 6th)

Phew! That's all I can say, after a long but fruitful day out with young folks who are matured in mind. It was an awesome experience and I would like to share that with you.
Woke up at 7am this morning. Damn tired cuz yesterday night I attended a colleague's wedding dinner at TTDI. Anyway, that's besides the point. OK, after waking up, I checked the CausePlay inbox to see whether there were any last min matters that needed to be taken care of for today's mob. None. Checked the fb wall. None. OK, went to get ready, and headed off to the ERL station.
Reached KL Sentral around 8:29am. Obviously, no one was there. Ah, I remember now. I would have hung out more at the ERL Waiting Lounge, but there was a blind man sitting beside me in the train, so I had to guide him up to the exit area, hence I couldn't hang out in the Waiting Lounge. Anyway, so, I went to Burger King to wait for the rest of the CausePlayers.
8:30am
8:35am
8:40am
8:45am
Ping! I see the guys from IACT College lugging bags of T-shirts and freebies and also posters. Amazing kids I tell you! Went to introduce myself. They're so damn cool, with their tattoos, sense of fashion, hair, glasses, piercings. How I wish I had lived that path during my teens. Hmm *dreamy*
Anyway, slowly one by one the CausePlay mobbers started trickling into the meeting point. By then, it had already been 9:10am.
So, finally we headed into the bus (our designated "flash mob tour" bus), with our McD breakfast sets waiting for us :) Yummeee..
First stop was Times Square at 10:30am. We started off by singing the "Negaraku" while being blindfolded. Then the IACT lecturer recited a poem by A. Samad Said. We removed our blindfolds and started singing childhood songs. It was so awesome cuz it was accompanied by the kompang. The shoppers were just staring at us, some taking photos, some shooting videos.
Next, we headed off to Central Market. Yes, I know, probably one of the more dodgier places in the heart of KL City. It was kinda like Chow Kit Street, with all the stalls selling arts and crafts. Saw this stall inside Central Market selling T-shirts with really catchy statements printed on them. E.g., "Naked Inside" using the Intel Inside logo. Wanted to buy one of the shirts, but they were trying to rip me off for RM35. I was like, you might as well rob me in bright daylight.
So, at 12pm (I think), we did our thing again at the area near the kereta lembu. Cool, had better responses from the crowd, cuz Central Market being the area where tourists frequent and not forgetting the very very dodgy immigrant workers.
Next, we headed off to Kompleks PKNS Shah Alam. When we first landed, we got a vanilla sundae. Yippee! Then we went around the complex with our Kita T-shirts on, drawing a lot of attention from the public cuz they were thinking that we were from some kinda mob (like a kongsi gelap), which is kinda true right? We ARE a flash MOB group :)
So, at 2pm (I think), we did our thing again, right smack in the front entrance. People from McD and the shoppers were watching but didn't really do much (except for one lady that was recording our gig). So, I told Kim that the crowd was kinda "stoned" and she took it as "they were too stoned cuz our gig was so awesome". Right.
Then, we had our lunch at the park (by the lake) opposite Kompleks PKNS. Nice view (but dirty water), slightly breeezy but damn hot. Good company. Everyone just sat on the benches and ate the nasi goreng.
After that, we headed off for our last stop which was at Lot 10. This time, we didn't sing. Instead, all of us did a formation in a straight line, hands locking with the person next to each other, while being blindfolded, did a freeze. So, technically it was a blind freeze. Damn awesome cuz you know Lot 10 being a hot spot for tourists, we managed to get the attention and awareness that we wanted.
So, all in all, tiring day but really amazing. Enjoyed meeting fun and young people (cuz they make me feel young) and learning from them at the same time :)
Shoutout goes out to:
Jacqueline
Cody
Thaqifah
Khiflani
Siti Zurya
Elina Suyani
Shaheera
Aris Hushaini
Mohd Faisal
Zackrey
Danial Hasif
Muhammad Amirul
Mohd Fazrin Shah
Ainul Hafzan
Daniel
Steven
You guys ROCK!! Looking forward to next week's!! :):)